Advanced Neurosurgical Training
The third level of the Training Program is Advanced Neurosurgical Training where the trainee should be functioning with full emergency competence, operating as primary surgeon in core neurosurgical procedures and acquiring the foundation for subspecialist practice.
Advanced Neurosurgical Training must be completed in a minimum of one training year from completion of Intermediate Neurosurgical Training and a maximum of three training years. Trainees who complete three years of Advanced Neurosurgical Training without successful completion of all training requirements will be dismissed.
The training requirements which must be satisfactorily completed during Advanced Neurosurgical Training are summarised below with further details available in the Regulations:
- Quarterly Professional Performance Assessments
- The Fellowship Examination
- A minimum of 200 major neurosurgical procedures during Advanced Neurosurgical Training of which a minimum of 100 must be as primary surgeon
- Participation in a minimum of 80 major neurosurgical procedures for each six months
- Assessed as competent in the 2 Foundational Competencies and the 23 Core Competencies at the conclusion of Advanced Neurosurgical Training
Trainees must remain in their allocated accredited training positions at all times during Advanced Neurosurgical Training.
Download the Training Program Regulations here