The first level of the Training Program is Basic Training focused on the basic neurosurgical foundational skills.
Basic Training must be completed in a minimum of one training year and a maximum of two training years. Trainees who complete two years of active Basic Training without successful completion of all training requirements will be dismissed.
The training requirements which must be satisfactorily completed during Basic Neurosurgical Training are summarised below with further details available in the Training Program Regulation:
- Quarterly Professional Performance Assessments
- The Generic Surgical Science Examination
- The Neurosurgery Surgical Science Examination (trainees commencing prior to 2016)
- The Clinical Examination (trainees commencing prior to 2016)
- The Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient Course
- A minimum of two Neurosurgical Training Seminars
- Participation in a minimum of 200 major neurosurgical operative procedures during Basic Training
- Participation in a minimum of 80 major neurosurgical procedures for each six months
- Trainees must be assessed by one Assessor as having satisfied each Type 1 DOPS procedure
Trainees must remain in their allocated accredited training positions at all times during Basic Training.
Download the Training Program Regulations here