The third level of the SET Program is Advanced Neurosurgical Training where the trainee should be functioning with full emergency competence, operating as the primary surgeon in core neurosurgical procedures and acquiring the foundation for subspecialist practice.
The minimum training time for Advanced Neurosurgical Training is one full-time equivalent training year from completion of Intermediate Neurosurgical Training. The maximum training time for completion of Advanced Neurosurgical Training is nine calendar years from commencement of training.
The full- time training requirements which must be satisfactorily completed during Advanced Neurosurgical Training are summarised below with further details available in the Regulations. These requirements may be adjusted where flexible training is approved.
- Clinical Term Requirement: Submit quarterly Professional Performance Assessments
- Advanced Clinical Term Requirement: Satisfactory completion of at least four active Clinical Terms during Advanced Neurosurgical Training
- Clinical Term Case Requirement: Participation in a minimum of 80 major neurosurgical procedures for each six months while in active Clinical Terms
- Advanced Case Requirement: Participation in a minimum of 1,200 major neurosurgical procedures from commencement of the SET Program while in active Clinical Terms
- Primary Case Requirement: Participation in a minimum 500 major neurosurgical procedures as primary surgeon from commencement of the SET Program while in active Clinical Terms (the cases are included in the overall minimum of 1,200)
- Paediatric Case Requirement: Participation in a minimum of 50 major paediatric neurosurgical procedures from commencement of the SET Program while in active Clinical Terms (the cases are included in the overall minimum of 1,200)
- Advanced DOPS Requirement: Be assessed by one Assessor as having satisfied any five of the Type 3 DOPS procedures (including those submitted during Basic and Intermediate Neurosurgical Training)
- Research Publication Requirement: Have a publication from the supervised research project in an approved journal
- Training Seminar Requirement: Satisfactorily participate in all scheduled Training Seminars while undertaking active Clinical Terms as part of the SET Program
- Fellowship Examination: Satisfactorily complete the Fellowship Examination in Neurosurgery
Download the Training Program Regulations here