The first level of the SET Program is Basic Neurosurgical Training, which is focused on the basic neurosurgical foundational skills.
The minimum training time for Basic Neurosurgical Training is one full-time equivalent training year. The maximum training time for completion of Basic Neurosurgical Training is two calendar years from commencement of training.
The full-time training requirements which must be satisfactorily completed during Basic Neurosurgical Training are summarised below with further details available in the Regulations. These requirements may be adjusted where flexible training is approved.
- Clinical Term Requirement: Submit quarterly Professional Performance Assessments
- Basic Clinical Term Requirement: Satisfactory completion of at least three active Clinical Terms during Basic Neurosurgical Training
- Clinical Term Case Requirement: Participation in a minimum of 80 major neurosurgical procedures for each six months while in active Clinical Terms
- Basic Case Requirement: Participation in a minimum of 200 major neurosurgical procedures from commencement of the SET Program while in active Clinical Terms
- Basic DOPS Requirement: Be assessed by one Assessor as having satisfied each Type 1 DOPS procedure
- CCrISP® Requirement: Satisfactorily complete the Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient Course
- Training Seminar Requirement: Satisfactorily participate in all scheduled Training Seminars while undertaking active Clinical Terms as part of the SET Program
Download the Training Program Regulations here