The second level of the SET Program is Intermediate Neurosurgical Training where the trainee involvement should be increasing in complexity. The trainee should be assuming more responsibility and building on the foundational experience, knowledge, skills and attributes towards the required level of competence.
The minimum training time for Intermediate Neurosurgical Training is three full-time equivalent training years from completion of Basic Neurosurgical Training. The maximum training time for completion of Intermediate Neurosurgical Training is eight calendar years from commencement of training.
The full-time training requirements which must be satisfactorily completed during Intermediate Neurosurgical Training are summarised below with further details available in these Regulations. These requirements may be adjusted where flexible training is approved.
Clinical Term Requirement: Submit quarterly Professional Performance Assessments
- Intermediate Clinical Term Requirement: Satisfactory completion of at least nine active Clinical Terms during Intermediate Neurosurgical Training
- Clinical Term Case Requirement: Participation in a minimum of 80 major neurosurgical procedures for each six months while in active Clinical Terms
- Intermediate Case Requirement: Participation in a minimum of 1,000 major neurosurgical procedures from commencement of the SET Program while in active Clinical Terms
- Intermediate DOPS Requirement: Be assessed by two different Assessors as having satisfied each Type 1 and Type 2 DOPS procedure (including those submitted during Basic Neurosurgical Training)
- EMST Requirement: Satisfactorily complete the Early Management of Severe Trauma Course
- CLEAR Requirement: Satisfactorily complete the Critical Literature Evaluation and Research Course
- Training Seminar Requirement: Satisfactorily participate in all scheduled Training Seminars while undertaking active Clinical Terms as part of the SET Program
- Research Project Requirement: Satisfactorily complete an approved supervised research project
- Research Presentation Requirement: Satisfactorily complete an approved research presentation
Download the Training Program Regulations here